Sunday, December 23, 2007

iPod RIP

It finally happened. After three long and happy years together, me and my original generation iPod (with monochrome screen) have parted company. It was a sad day when I tried to plug him into the mains power and he went a bit mental, made some funny wiring sounds and then choked. Immediately I ran upstairs for the life-support of the main PC but attempts to revive him were doomed. Even the neat trick of pressing various sequences of buttons failed to remove the unhappy iPod icon from his screen.

We looked at his little lifeless body laying there...tears welling as he stared back at me. But we knew it was the end. Three years of servitude and it was time for the little fella to say goodbye, take up a space in my bottom desk draw and life out the remainder of his years next to the APS camera and a couple of mobile phones.

Convenient one might think, with him dying three days before Xmas and without my wife having any idea what to buy me for a present!

Welcome in the new iPod Classic...80 Gig of sexy sleek lines, colour screen and black plastic casing. Sends shivers down your spine.

But why didn't you repair the other little fella I hear you crY?

Well, this is the simple reason - repair costs outside warranty for his generation of iPod = $349+P&P. New iPod Classic? $345.