Sunday, January 6, 2008

Summerfieldayze Let-Down

Spent yesterday travelling down to Summerfieldayze with a friend Michael, who was nice enough to drive us down there and back. It was my first time at the event and to be honest, I wasn't impressed at all. The problems I have are this:

1) The venue is a total bitch to get to and from. I mean, really awkward and miles from anywhere. Can't park near it, have to wait for buses to ship you to somewhere near where you parked your car. Or you walk for twenty minutes. Just what you need at the start of the day in midday sunshine in the middle of summer. Genius.

2) Food is crap. I mean really crap. I paid $8.00 for some chicken and chips...all cold. I'd pay $10.00 if someone guaranteed me the food was at least hot. Or I could sit down and eat the thing. And it's the same food at every gig. I mean, German sausage? Who cares?

3) The mud. Sure, you can't do much about it when it's been raining for 10 days straight...but you can find enough matting to cover four stages...how about a bit more to at least make some paths about the place?

4) The line-up. Okay so I'm not down with all the dance music these days but lets look at the big names: David Guetto, Benny Benassi, De La Soul, New Young Pony Club - the event turns over nearly $2.5million in ticket sales (not including the Vodafone sponsorship) and that's the best they could do?

5) $9 for a Smirnoff Black? PLEASE. Wholesale price of a carton of Black is about $60. which says $6.5 profit per can. Sure they have to pay people to serve the stuff, but that's just madness.

6) De La Soul were good...but as a stage act? It could have been anyone up there. No show, no nothing. And a 70 minute set? Of which 10 minutes was intro...and another 10 was Joel TUrner.

It's the same with Big Day Out - there's 50,000 people going just to see Rage Against The Machine - and without them on the line-up the list looks pretty ordinary. Silverchair? They've just played the hell out of Australia three months ago so who cares?

No comments: