Sunday, November 25, 2007

Change Of Australian Federal Government

Okay so I can't vote. I'm not a citizen yet so I have no capability to decide on who governs the country I live in. Shame really, but it does remind me that I do need to get off my backside and sort out my application to become an Australian.

Anyhow, the point is, against my political principles, which I would have to label as middle/right, I would have voted for Kevin Rudd, the new Australian PM, who is the leader of the Australian Labor party, and distinctly middle/left.



So why would I have opted to change the habit of a lifetime, and compromise my own personal political beliefs, and vote for someone who isn't part of a party that I would normally support?

It's a good question and probably one that a lot of voters this morning are asking of themselves, having overwhelming chose to swing their support to the ALP. Either way, the scaremongering has continued. "Rudd with destroy the country" kind of messages are floating around mediums like Facebook. As far as I can remember when Blair took over from the Tories back in...erm...mid-1990s, the UK didn't suddenly stop walking and fall apart.

Sure there were changes, but in politics and economies, changes are gradual. People have seen the mistakes of trying to introduce radical new policies suddenly - Work Choices, Poll Tax - and the new governement would be foolish to make sweeping changes without some serious thought. Would the Liberal party have been in the mess they are in now if they'd staggered Work Choices into the marketplace?

Rudd has been given the backing to drag Australia kicking and screaming into the future, but myself, like many people, will be watching him carefully. No-one wants to see the return of the Union nutters taking control of the workplace, but we do want people to be given a fair go. - it's a tough thing to balance out. Lets hope he's up to it.

No comments: