Thursday, November 1, 2007

Lonsdale Clothing

I always liked Lonsdale clothing. Okay, so I never owned any - well, I might have owned a t-shirt somewhere along the line - but never anything that I've loved like a member of my family. Not like my old Duffer sweatshirt.


The problem I find with Lonsdale, and their new advertising campaign, is I'm sitting looking at images of models in t-shirts and vests and I'm thinking 'so what'?

For my part if I want to engage a clothing brand I want to know what they stand for. What is it that I'm saying to people by wearing their t-shirts? The Lonsdale brand says too much that I have no real concept of style; that I'm a 'me-too' brand copying someone else. I want individuality in my clothing brands, or at least, if I'm going to buy into a mass-produced brand (say, like Abercrombie) then I bloody well want them to be cool enough to warrant myself and 100 other people on the high-street wearing them.

Lonsdale used to be the urban, boxing wear, typically London, in a very similar way to Everlast was to the same sport in New York. It's ironic that Everlast suffer from a similar problem in trying to reposition themselves as a younger fashion brand, they've lose any essence of what made they what they were in the first place.

It's a hard ask as to wear to go with these brands. Glossy full-page spreads in FHM and clean living models, female ones with big boobs, are probably not the answers - unless Lonsdale are sitting on the brand to eek money out of it by flogging it through Myer and K-Mart to bogans who know no better.

The consequence of this will most likely be decline, or very slow growth. Whilst it can be hard to go back to the original roots of the brand, something that you may not want to do anyway, its worth remembering that these brands were born out of sub-cultures, and that without the support of a sub-culture, they will have no oxygen to survive.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a bit of a girly whinge. You want to know what a clothing brand stands for? Then let me enlighten you, I’m quite certain that I can include all clothing brands here ( including your beloved "Abercrombie") and say the one thing that all clothing brands "stand" for is too make money!!!!!!! If you think a particular brand is trying to send any message to the unsuspecting Joe Public, other than "buy our gear and make our share holders more green" than you are seeing planes and called Tattoo......because you are living on Fantasy Island! Now I’m not all up to speed on your whiz bang marketing and how to engage people and spray painting on train carriages, but I can tell you this; if an article of clothing feels comfortable, looks good on you and a second mortgage on your house is not needed to purchase it, then buy it! Not because it stands for the freeing of slaves in some obscure African Sovereign State.

John said...

slothnco,

If you think this sounds girly, you are the reason girls are taking over marketing departments in Droves.

As far as sales and profit go whether clothing is cheap or comfortable is:

Not the point...

Some marketing techniques get you customers today and some will bring in customers for years, keep them coming back and allow them to feel comfortable paying margins which would supplant 15 sales from a Target brand.

Namely brand creation.

A teeshirt is a teeshirt is a teeshirt as far as comfort, except for heavily embossed designs which require dedication to overcome the scratchiness factor, but your teeshirt is in the face of everyone you meet. It takes up the biggest part of your presentation real-estate and so should be afforded some respect and cash.

If your statement is Emo, wear black, but if your statement is co-ordinated, fit and motivated then wear Nike.

When buying their shirts or shoes or watches you are actually buying a share in their brand. Their whole marketing campaign is behind you. All the messages they have been sending to millions of people are being sent for you.

If you buy a Greenpeace shirt you are not buying it because it is cheap or comfortable and it is not even really because it supports Greenpeace financially because it does that to a very minor extent. It is because you agree with their message and values and you want to tell the world.

So go tell the world that you support cheap and nasty generic brands which are unoriginal and use shock advertising and while you are buying your wacky waving inflatable tube man I'll wear something with style and a message.

JK