Monday, November 19, 2007

ISP Woes

I don't moan about much (everyone laughs in the background)...but losing your email, especially your work email, is like having your arm cut off.

This is a list of the reasons why I will, eventually, abandon MD Webhosting.

1. Not once, not twice but THREE times, someone mucked around with something on the server to make my emails come in 12 hours ahead of themselves. I was receiving emails from the next day. It was very weird. Not a major problem, but annoying all the same. On ALL occassions it took THREE phone calls or jobs being logged to get them to fix it.

2. One Monday I'm not getting email. Strange. There should be something coming in. I ring them up. They say they're going to fix it. An hour later....still nothing. So I ring them again. I need my email back, what's going on? Apparently the virus software they're using is clashing with the email programme. They've just noticed it and there's three hours of backed up mails. It's another two hours before mine arrive. Took me to tell them this.

3. One Friday the sites aren't there. Hmmm. Strange. I go and check. No notes on their RSS feed. I ring up and find out that apparently my server is down and they're just going to reboot it. Once again, they find out because I ring them.

4. This morning major hardwear failure that also includes the fact that something called a 'RAID' isn't configured properly...so it's going to take even longer to get eveeything back and running than it should. I lose email and sites at 8.30am...get it back at 9.45pm.

So whaddya do? I have so much stuff with them...do I move it? new host? leave it and hope they sort themselves out?

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Regular reader of your blog, first time commenter.

Up until this year when I sold my business I used to run a small web host and can say that MD are probably the worst locally operated web host. A look over at the forums at Whirlpool will confirm you're not alone with having a bad experience.

Regular down time and non-communication are unacceptable for business and personal customers so you should change (be aware that I seem to recall MD Web Hosting are one of the very few providers that charge a cancellation fee). Though potential costs of staying with MD via both direct sales lost and the poor perception of you and your business by people who try to access your web site when it is down or when you are not quick to reply to emails should outweigh an cancellation fees.

I can suggest either of the companies I now use for locally hosted sites Aussie Host (http://www.aussiehost.com) as a budget provider ($10/month) or AussieHQ (http://www.aussiehq.com.au) as a premium provider ($35/month). Or go to the Australian web hosting industry forum Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com.au) where you can request quotes and interact with the owners of many mid-size hosts. IMHO online businesses that use forums to get business also do their best to provide a service that will not get flamed via the forums as well as keep customers informed if stuff does go wrong (unfortunately can happen to the best of hosts in the industry by the complex nature of the service).

Email me if you have any other questions.

SKD said...

On the back of that advice...I spoke to Aussie Host and should be transferring everything across there in a couple of weeks! Thanks for commenting!! Much appreciated.

John said...

I have moved the mail for all the domains which I control to google apps. It is free and only takes ~10 mins to set up per domain.

You have to be able access to your DNS records, but once that is done it allows for unlimited POP, IMAP or online gmail style access to your mail and a 10Gb mailbox for free.

It is a fairly good deal.

JK