Sunday, August 26, 2007

Compromise

The word of the week this week is 'compromise'.

Last weekend I picked a couple of films to watch from Blockbuster - 'Hot Fuzz' and '300'. '300' was excellent, and other than the King Leonidas's slightly camp Glasgow-accent dialogue in places and the hugely excessive visions of blood and gore, it was a great film. '300' was also filmed with a comic book edge to it, almost pulling the actors out of real life and making them look and feel like animated cartoons. 'Hot Fuzz' was slightly funny. I was a never a huge Simon Pegg fan and that did little to convince me otherwise.

Anyway, this isn't about the films, it's about compromise.

So after it was pointed out that I had made my partner sit through '300' - she didn't; she fell asleep at several points - I agreed to sit down and watch a film of her choice: 'Failure to Launch'. The most apt way to describe it is 'chick flick'. I won't digest the plot synopsis here - there isn't really much of one to digest - but suffice to say it was pretty mindless sugar-coated stuff with lots of pictures of Matthew McConaughey doing action sports or taking his shirt off and showing his six-pack. All the guys are called 'Tripp' and 'Ace' and 'Demo' and other such punky American slang.

So the point that I seem to be wandering far from here is the need for compromise. The need to accept that someone made a sacrifice for you and that you need to make one back. Whilst I admit I may have over-dramatised that last statement when simply referring to sitting through a film or two, and that perhaps I could have used an example more significant to demonstrate the need for more understanding in the world, you get my point.

At some point today we'll find ourselves in Ikea. The understanding of compromise will well and truly be put to the test again there.

Finally the trailer for '300' if you haven't seen it:

1 comment:

Tani said...

There's also the compromise you have to make with the creators of the films you watch. Not every film is going to be 100% in sync with your preferred style or pov of the world. But if you're a driven person, then every shit poor plot you come across should spur you on to challenge the industry with your own offering up of a story worthy of modern cinema.

And just quietly, I think Mr McConaughey may be devolving back into something from the Upper Cave Period. Why is there a photo of him throwing a huge rock and smiling?